Mixing up the fuel happens on a daily basis and is all too easy to do!! Sometimes we may be in a rush and just pick up the wrong nozzle or perhaps we have recently switched vehicles, misfuels happen.
Most commonly we find putting petrol in a diesel car is especially easy – and mistakenly putting diesel into a petrol tank is also possible. What matters most, is how you respond.
Here’s what we recommend
- Do not attempt to start the car. Doing so can cause permanent damage and require costly repair work.
- If possible try and get somone to help move the car to a safe place on the forecourt until help arrives.
- Call us: We can assist you and get you back on the road
HOW TO PREVENT MISFUELLING
The best way to avoid misfuelling? Well the obvious answer to that is: always fill your tank with the right fuel.
But we all make mistakes…
While no one’s perfect and it’s impossible to avoid innocent mistakes from time to time, there are a few things we can bear in mind to reduce the risk of falling foul to mishaps at the pumps:
- Before filling up properly read the pump’s trigger label.
- If you’ve just bought a new car with a different fuel engine, leave yourself reminders or prompts in the car to minimise the risk of you reaching for the wrong pump.
- Try and avoid refuelling when you’re in a hurry, hungry or stressed. When our minds are somewhere else, we’re more likely to slip up.
- For diesel owners, If you drive a diesel car and are worried about misfuelling, you can buy a device that fits into your filler neck to prevent you inserting the narrower petrol nozzle.
Call FREE on:
028 9503 0255
Give us a call and we will try and help you out.